The NAHASDA program provides housing assistance for low to moderate income Alaskan Native/Native Americans. This program provides the tribe with Indian Housing Block Grant (IHBG) funding through the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD).
There are eligibility requirements to receive assistance for the following:
- Winter Emergency Assistance,
- Rehabilitation/Renovation and
- New Construction.
These requirements are as follows:
- Kotzebue must be your primary resident. A copy of Deed of ownership for the property, or a long-term lease agreement with the property owner of 25 years.
- A copy of most recent tax returns, proof of other income such as public assistance and/or social security. If there are others named in the household composition, their proof of income must be provided.
- A Certificate of Indian Blood (CIB) for every household member provided in the application.
- We also review applicants and household members to ensure they do not have a criminal history related to crimes against other persons or crimes related sale of drugs and or alcohol.
There are income guidelines for HUD Income limits that will be part of the determination of eligibility. These limits are listed in the housing assistance application.
Then Native Village of Kotzebue Housing Department also helps Elder Housing with Iglut Senior Apartments, which are a tenant-based rental assisted program that we budget for, manage, and maintain. There are a total of 15 apartments and a manager that lives on site. This program also follows HUD income guidelines.
(907) 442-5314 direct