The mission of the Native Village of Kotzebue – Kotzebue I.R.A. Higher Education Scholarship Program is to financially assist eligible members of the Native Village of Kotzebue with the associated costs of pursuing a degree at an accredited post-secondary educational institution.
- The applicant must be an officially enrolled member of the Kotzebue I.R.A. As such, the applicant qualifies to receive tribal funding only from the Kotzebue I.R.A.
- The applicant must provide a copy of Certificate of Indian Blood (C.I.B.), indicating at least one-quarter (¼) quantum Alaska Native or American Indian blood.
- The applicant must be enrolled at an accredited postsecondary educational institution. Colleges and universities must be accredited by their authorized regional, state and/or national accrediting association. Religious postsecondary educational
- Institutions must be accredited, and course hours must be transferable to three non-religious postsecondary educational institutions. A letter confirming course hour transfer must accompany the application. Tribal postsecondary educational institutions need not be accredited, rather recognized by the Secretary of Education.
- The applicant must be at least eighteen years of age or obtain guardian or parental authorization.
- The applicant must prove financial need after financial resources from family contributions, grants, personal contributions, and other scholarships are utilized.
- The applicant must submit a complete application before the scheduled deadline. All applications received after the posted deadline will be returned to the applicant unopened.
Fall Semester/Autumn Quarter: July 15th
Spring Semester/Winter Quarter: January 10th
Spring Quarter: February 15th
Summer Semester/Summer Quarter: April 15th
*Prior to the deadline the student will have no longer than 6 weeks, if the NVOK Education Department is notified, to turn in any supporting documents that are missing.
Application & Guidelines
Native Village of Kotzebue/ Kotzebue IRA
P.O. Box 296 Kotzebue, Alaska 99752
Phone Number: (907) 442-2321
Fax: (907) 442-2162
Education & Nikaitchuat Director
(907) 442-3467, ext. 213
(907) 442-51535, direct
Email: Jaime Schaeffer