TITLE: IMMERSION TEACHER AIDE
REPORTS TO: NIKAITCHUAT DIRECTOR
DEPARTMENT: NIKAITCHUAT ILISAGVIAT
CLASSIFICATION: NON-EXEMPT / FULL-TIME (SEASONAL)
CLOSING DATE: OPEN UNTIL FILLED
Provide instructional assistance in an Inupiaq-speaking classroom to both small and large group instruction. Assist in planning and instruction of weekly thematic units based on cultural activities. Reports to and under general supervision of and directly accountable to Nikaitchuat Director.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Institutional: participates in the development of learning program; adheres to Kotzebue IRA personnel policies.
- Instruction: Work cooperatively with the teacher in planning and implementation of the instructional program; work with students using the Inupiaq language to reinforce materials and skills; guide independent study, enrichment work, group work and class work; serves as resource in cultural activities; delivers instruction in Inupiaq to students.
- Curriculum: Participates in planning and coordinating the learning program that includes evaluation, development and revisions of curriculum.
- Faculty and Staff: Works with fellow staff members in all aspects of planning program; and participates in decisions in harmony with other faculty and staff. Communicates with fellow staff in the Inupiaq as a role model to others.
- Students: Advises and counsels students, mediates problems between students.
- Educational: Participates in learning activities that expand the trainee’s knowledge of child development and language instruction. Performs related duties as assigned. Addenda of other duties may be added.
- Must complete and pass a criminal background check.
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team.
- Years of experience in a rural Alaskan area a major factor for consideration.
- Energetic, upbeat, and possess good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to communicate, both orally and written, including the ability to analyze information in a logical, sequential manner, and to make concise written presentations of findings.
PREFERRED KNOWLEDGE, ABILITY, AND SKILLS:
- Experience working with young children in an educational setting.
- Knowledge of the lifestyles and culture of the people of Kotzebue and the Northwest Arctic Borough.
- Tribally enrolled member of the Native Village of Kotzebue.
- Ability to speak and/or understand Inupiaq.
- Must be willing to obtain college-level Early Childhood Development courses totaling 12 credits to maintain Child Care Licensing at Nikaitchuat Ilisagviat.
Native preference will be given in recruiting and hiring, consistent with the Indian Self- Determination and Education Assistance Act, P.L. 93-638, as amended.
Kotzebue IRA is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and all qualified applicants will be considered for employment.