TITLE: Immersion Substitute Teacher
REPORTS TO: Nikaitchuat Director
DEPARTMENT: NIKAICHUAT ILISAGVIAT
CLASSIFICATION: NON-EXEMPT / PART Time
During absence of regular teaching staff, teach the Iñupiaq language with P-K-1 students in an immersion school environment at Nikaitchuat Iḷisaġviat. Support parent and family communication about student progress, and relays information back to regular teaching staff. This position provides linguistic, cultural and educational services with students in a tribal community-based setting while helping to ensure compliance with tribal, state and federal regulations and policies.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Teach the Iñupiaq language with P-K-1 students in an immersion school environment at Nikaitchuat Iḷisaġviat. Implement curriculum and provide instruction.
- Follow the daily and weekly classroom lesson plans with needed preparations. Track student attendance and learning. Relay information back to regular teaching staff on status of lessons.
- Work with staff members in teaching methods. Participates in classroom decisions in harmony with other faculty and staff.
- Ensure the safety of all students in classroom.
- As needed, assist in the appropriate assessment of students to track student learning, behavior, proficiency levels and designing individual learning plans to accommodate needs.
- Help mediate problems between students, staff, and/or parents/guardians.
- Organizes and prepares teaching materials needed for classroom activities with the Lead Teacher.
- Help maintain student files and records with confidentiality and the proper disposition of closed files.
- Assist with regular school and office tasks, such as copies, filing, record keeping and cleaning.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
- Iñupiaq language fluency, with ability to speak, write and teach Iñupiaq.
- Must complete and pass a criminal background check.
- Ability to work with children of all ages.
- Teaching experience with ages P-K-1.
- Knowledge of the lifestyle and culture of the people in Kotzebue and the Northwest Arctic Borough.
- Ability to respectfully interact with the public and express ideas and concepts clearly in oral
- Ability to work well with staff in a team approach.
Native preference will be given in recruiting and hiring, consistent with the Indian Self- Determination and Education Assistance Act, P.L. 93-638, as amended.
Kotzebue IRA is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and all qualified applicants will be considered for employment.