TITLE: Accounting Technician
REPORTS TO: Accounting Manager or Finance Director
DEPARTMENT: Finance Department
CLASSIFICATION: NON-EXEMPT / FULL-TIME/TEMPORARY
Under the general supervision of Finance Director or his/her designee, executes routine accounting assignments, including accounts payable, accounts receivable, and maintain the file system for accounts payable, accounts receivable, and payroll, and performs general office duties and related work as required. The Accounting Technician will participate in cross training of duties in the finance department for coverage of other accounting duties.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Match accounts payable invoices with existing check requests and create check request as needed.
- Verify payment of invoices associated with accounts payable and ensure payments are charged to the appropriate accounts.
- Receive incoming payments and post in accounting system.
- Prepare bank deposits.
- Maintain relationship with vendors regarding payment on account.
- Review travel requests for complete and accurate supporting documentation, including invoices and receipts, for payment processing.
- Create invoices[CM1] in the accounting system, receive incoming payments, ensure accurate posting to customer accounts and work with customers as needed.
- Review aging reports monthly to identify refunds, corrections, or amounts to be collected.
- Organize and maintain finance filing systems.
- Participate in cross training of duties in the finance department for coverage of other accounting duties.
- Provide outside auditors with assistance including gather necessary account information and documents as requested. Submit documentation timely as directed.
- Provide general office support including maintain clean and clear office space and front desk duties as requested.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- High School Diploma/GED equivalent
- 1 year of general accounting experience, preferably in accounts payable or accounts receivable
- Experience with general office equipment including scanner, copier, fax, and printer
- Familiarity with QuickBooks, Microsoft Excel, Gmail, and Google Docs
KNOWLEDGE, ABILITY, AND SKILLS:
- Attention to detail and data entry accuracy.
- Efficient time management.
- Proficient with 10-key and typing.
- Understand generally accepted accounting principles.
- Maintain confidentiality.
- Communicate effectively through verbal and written communication.
- Work well in a team environment.
Native preference will be given in recruiting and hiring, consistent with the Indian Self- Determination and Education Assistance Act, P.L. 93-638, as amended.
Kotzebue IRA is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and all qualified applicants will be considered for employment.